Non-metallic washers have it all over metal in many applications – and the fact that they cost less is just one of their advantages. The I.G. Marston Co., Inc. has shipped millions of washers and various fasteners around the world – for the past 150 years.
Many companies already appreciate the various advantages of washers made from nylon, fibre, felt, acetal, rubber, cork, sponge and other non-metallic materials. Each has certain characteristics that make it most suitable in particular situations.
- Wear Resistance – Some of our non-metallic washers outwear metal parts by as much as 20 to 1. Plastics like Nylon, UHMWPE, PTFE and Acetal offer natural lubricity to increase wear resistance and extend the part life of bearings, rollers, gears and seals.
- Internal Lubrication – Certain non-metallic washers contain a solid lubricant, making them ideal in installations where external lubrication is difficult or undesirable.
- Noise Reduction – Non-metallic washers from IG Marston absorb noise and shock, and reduce chatter and vibration.
- Non-Abrasive – The non-metallic washers we produce will not gall or scratch mating parts.
- Corrosion Resistance – Have you ever seen a nylon or fibre washer rust? Properly selected non-metallic washers aren’t subject to other corrosive environments.
- Temperature Resistance – Plastics, ceramics, and composites have been developed which resist both extremely high and extremely low cryogenic temperature ranges with minimal loss of mechanical properties.
- Low Surface Friction – A low coefficient of friction in some washer materials makes another smoother, longer lasting operation of almost any product.
- Excellent Sealing – Non-metallic washers compress under pressure, so they are ideal as seals under unfavorable environmental conditions.
- Insulating Properties – Non-metallic washers are an excellent choice for applications involving electricity or temperature.
- Lightweight – To minimize the weight of automobiles, airplanes, and other products, non-metallic washers are a sensible alternative.
- Impact Resistance – Materials such as Polycarbonate are used for impact-resistance glazing and shields. Nylon and Polyurethane will absorb impact shock and isolate stress points to protect surrounding components.
- Medical and Food Approval – There’s a full range of plastics that have been approved for use in medical applications, ranging from heart pump valves to endoscopic instruments, as well as materials safe for food applications.
- Fire Safe – Several plastics are available in fire-safe and fire-retardant grades. These products have reduced the cost of previously necessary fire-suppression systems, and, in some cases, reduced insurance costs in high-liability applications.
- High Purity – Plastics have long been crucial in the manufacturing of high-purity fluid and gas handling applications. Many plastics have eliminated the concerns of out-gassing, leaching, and other forms of contamination in crucial high-purity systems.
- Lower Cost – Not only do non-metallic washers have all of the above advantages, they typically cost far less than their metal counterparts. Of course, wear and corrosion resistance and some of the other advantages listed above also lead to less down-time for maintenance – another cost-savings.
Given all of the reasons for using non-metallic washers isn’t it worth looking into? If you’re already acquainted with the benefits of using non-metallic washers, gaskets or other items and are looking for a new source, consider partnering with IG Marston Co. Since we’ve been in the business since 1844, we can honestly say, no one knows non-metallic washers like we do.